Hello dear Lowveld Friends!
Last week saw some really amazing new products with the highlight being the Salted Carrot with Seaweed on the list again this week. It is truly delicious and so different – a real gourmet treat! After all the orders had gone I got to play a little with it as well….
We loved our dinner starter!
Eliminating animal products from a diet has a few challenges for some people, one of them being chocolate (or the lack thereof). This however is not a problem anymore, as there truly are alternatives that are dairy-free (lactose & casein free) and don’t contain palm oil either. Noble Choice is available from Dischem. We use it in everything – from chocolate sauce to cheesecake to truffles – and it is delicious! Have a look at the Eskal website for more details on the ingredients and nutritional value.
So why should we not be eating milk chocolate? Have a look at what Arin Janus has to say about Dairy Is Scary. She is factual and to the point, and we all need to know about it.
Palm Oil is another ingredient we should be avoiding, and it is in EVERYTHING – from biscuits to shampoo! Have a look at its devastating threats to the environment and all its creatures.
#ReadTheLabel #NoPalmOil #DairyIsScary #LiveCrueltyFree
BIODEGRADABLE PLASTIC BAGS
We are #crushplastic’ing all the way… using the cellulose bags from Good For The Ground for your orders. That means you don’t have to feel bad about chucking them in the bin or even in your compost! How awesome is that?! Remember that you can also order these bags from us – it is listed on our weekly order form. #CrushPlastic #EnvironmentalChoices
R.I.P Liesl Nel
It is with sadness that I removed Liesl’s email address from our distribution list this morning.
Thank you Liesl, for all you had done for the animals, for how you demonstrated true vegan activism in the most diplomatic and dignified way.
We will hold you close to our hearts – always…
We have come to a very special arrangement with Marlise of THE FOOD FUNDI in the Pick n Pay centre (next to SARS) to become our pick-up point every Friday 15:00-17:00. This is a huge cost saving if we do not have to courier your goods to you. We believe that this location is central, apart from the fact that they also serve delicious vegan cappuccinos and will have some awesome new vegan items on the menu soon!
Please let us know if this venue does not suit you.
AVAILABLE PRODUCTS THIS WEEK:
Please click here for the OrderForm 23 Feb18
Please note that we use only stone-ground natural unbleached wheat flour, we use no colourants or preservatives, and everything is vegan.
On this week’s list, the order form is attached, please order before TUESDAY 08h00:
- CHILLI BITES WITH KALE & ONION – Ready to be mixed. Simply add ½ cup of water, mix well and stand for 30 minutes, then drop spoonsful into hot oil. Makes 6-8 bites. We suggest you serve them with our Wild Mango Relish, available this week. Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan
- BROWN BRAN RUSKS – Made with unbleached stoneground flour and soya milk. Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan … and…NO PALM OIL.
- TEMPEH TEMPURA MIX – We use GM-free soya beans to make our own tempeh. Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian fermented soya bean cake, packed with probiotics which have already started breaking down and making the beans more absorbable by the body. This dish requires a small tin (200 ml) of soda water to make the tempura batter. This is delicious with Sweet Chilli Sauce or our Wild Mango Relish, available this week. Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan, ALLERGEN: soya, gluten
- SEED LOAF – Made with stone ground unbleached flour and a selection of seeds. Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan.
- MARULA JAM – Perfect on bread, in jam tartlets or thinned to make a sauce for ice cream. Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan.
- CULTURED CASHEW CREAM – one of our firm favourites, it goes with everything – on bread as a spread, topping a pizza, stirred into a white sauce – it is delicious! Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, ALLERGENS: Nuts.
- WILD MANGO RELISH – with a bit of a bite and earthy as the huge old tree in our garden that drops the fruit. Serve as a condiment or put a spoonful on a burger. Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan
- SALTED CARROT WITH MARINATED SEAWEED – A real spoiler – topping for crackers, salads or as an interesting starter on a cos salad leaf with mayonnaise or rolled up in sushi. Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan, ALLERGEN: gluten in the marinade.
- CHIA SEED & HERB CRACKERS – Made with gluten-free flours and loads of seeds & herbs. Delicious with our Almond Ricotta, Salted Carrot or Beetroot Chutney, all available this week. Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan
- LEMON & POPPY SEED BISCUITS – Made with gluten-free flours. Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan.
- CHICKPEA BREYANI – This is a delicious dehydrated 1 portion balanced pack (100g) which is light and convenient to carry in a handbag, briefcase or backpack and effortless to prepare – simply pour into a small pot together with 1 cup of boiling water. Stand for 30 minutes, then boil on the stove for 2 minutes (or heat in microwave). Ingredients include chickpeas, soya mince, vegetables, Basmati Rice, herbs & spices. We suggest you serve this accompanied by our Wild Mango Relish, available this week. Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegan, ALLERGEN: soya
- MARINATED TOFU STEAKS – 2 portions prepared and ready to go into the oven with some roast veggies, or fried in a bit of oil in a pan. What a treat! ALLERGENS: Soya, (Gluten in the marinade)
- CELERY POWDER – RAW ground (organic) celery. Delicious in mash, stews, fritters, sprinkled over salads, use as plate garnish.
Please click here for the OrderForm 23 Feb18
Thank you in advance for your order and for joining our journey – it gets better every day!
Please help us to grow our Lowveld database by discussing our offering with your foodie friends, colleagues and family, then simply add their email addresses HERE. Feel free to forward this email to them as well!
If you do not want to receive this weekly list please UNSUBSCRIBE.
Have a fantastic week!